I have been searching for a great Devil’s Food Chocolate Cake recipe for years. And now my friends, I can say my search has ended. I have THE recipe, THE BEST Devil’s Food Chocolate Cherry Cake, and it’s thanks to Paul Hollywood!
I’ve been binge watching the Great British Baking Show on Netflix for the past 3 weeks. Now, don’t judge when I say this, but…I’ve also been taking notes while I watch it!
It has however certainly paid off as I have now perfected my chocolate cake recipe. This amazing Devil Food Chocolate Cherry Cake is full of soft, chocolatey perfection. This is the chocolate cake you’ve been dreaming of!
Let’s not forget about the dark cherry compote running through the center. It is so easy to make and provides a fresh and robust taste with every chocolatey bite. This recipe will put any doctored cake mix recipe to shame. My neighbors can vouch for me. They graciously volunteered to be my guinea pigs. The response: “It is insanely delicious.”
What kind of cocoa powder should I use?
I used Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for this recipe. It is commonly found in stores so it is easier for readers like you to purchase. I’m have also been known to use higher quality cocoa powders like Ghiradelli’s or cocoa powders from specialty shops.
How can I get my frosting super dark?
I used half Hershey’s Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa powder to achieve the dark looking frosting.
Baking tools I love
I love a LOT about this particular mixer – it’s teal color, price point, and size. It is stainless steel and mixes up to 5 dozen cookies in a single batch. Not to mention its dishwasher safe.
Made with stainless steal, these multi-size cookie scoops are ideal for scooping ice cream and scooping/dropping cookie dough. I love them because they are sturdy! They are very well made.
Whether you’re a left-hander or right-hander, this cake turntable works for everyone, as it can be turned both clockwise and counterclockwise. Thanks to the stainless steel bearing, it’ll eliminate horrible friction sound and provide silky-smooth revolving each and every time.
WHAT IS BUTTERMILK? IS THERE A SUBSTITUTE FOR BUTTERMILK?
Buttermilk is the liquid leftover after churning butter and is quite important for this recipe because of the way it interacts with the other ingredients.
CAN I MAKE THIS RECIPE DAIRY FREE?
You sure can! Add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to almond or soy milk. Let stand 5 minutes and use in place of the buttermilk. For the frosting, use a dairy free frosting option.
CAN I MAKE THIS AN EGGLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE?
I love this question!
Yes! There are several options that work well when substituting for eggs:
– 1/4 cup of plain yogurt per egg
– 1 tbsp vinegar + 1 tsp baking powder whisked together per egg
– 1/4 cup mashed banana per egg
– 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce per egg
Dark cherries are a smoothie staple in my house. I also obviously love to back with them as you will see them featured in many of my recipes.
A cup of raw cherries contains 97 calories and 2 grams of protein. They are a rich source of Vitamin C, potassium, manganese, and fiber.
They are titled as one of the healthiest superfoods because they have the highest medicinal value because:
- They contain high levels of polyphenols which are excellent for combatting inflammation, helping to reduce cell damage, and good for reducing symptoms of gout and arthritis
- They contain beta-carotene and vitamin C both of which are anti-inflammatories and antioxidants. These are useful for relieving muscle pain due to exercise
- They contain potassium which helps to keep the heart healthy by maintaining a proper heart rate and regulating blood pressure
- They contain melatonin which is helpful in regulating the sleep – wake cycle
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Devil’s Food Chocolate Cherry Cake
For The Cake
- Butter & flour for coating & dusting the cake pan
- 2 cups Flour of choice I used almond flour for this recipe
- 2 cups Swerve Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 cup Warm Water
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- 1 ½ cup Butter Softened
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 1 ½ cups Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 7 cups Powdered Sugar I like Swerves brand
- ¼ cup Milk (as needed)
- 2 cups Dark Cherries fresh (pits removed) or frozen. I used frozen for this recipe.
- 2 tbsp Sugar Alternative (Truvia, Monk Fruit, Swerve, etc…)
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 cup Almonds Chopped
For The Cakes and Cherry Compote
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter two 9-inch cake rounds and dust with flour – tap out the excess.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. (Roughly 3-5 minutes)
- Divide batter among the 2 pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While cakes are baking, place cherries and sugar in sauce pan and cook on low-medium heat until cherries cook down (roughly 6-8 minutes).
- Mix water and corn starch into a paste. Add to cherry mixture and continue stirring until mixture has thickened. Allow to cool.
- Once cakes are done in the over, remove and allow to cool on wire racks for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
For The Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer for best results.
- Add in cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Beat until combined.
- Beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. Add milk as necessary to make a spreadable consistency. The frosting should be very thick and will thicken even more if refrigerated.
Let's Put It Together!
- Spread a thin layer of frosting & cherry mixture on top of 1 cake.
- Stack other cake on top of frosting and cherry mixture.
- Frost using utensil of choice and garnish with chopped almonds and remaining cherry compote. Enjoy!