Are you following the Mediterranean diet?! If so, this Roasted Tomato Stuffed Quinoa recipe is a perfect add to your menu. It is also great if you’re looking to decrease inflammation and clean up your gut!
Quinoa is packed with protein and promotes the growth of “good bacteria” through its prebiotic effects. It’s high fiber content also helps to manage gastrointestinal transient times.
Quinoa is packed full of magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants and is one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids!
Did I mention it’s gluten free?! Are you intrigued yet?! Great…let’s keep going…
Every year my garden produces a plethora of tomatoes and I am always looking for fun and new ways to incorporate them into our dinner routine. One especially cool way to show of tomatoes is to scoop out the insides and fill with lots of good stuff. This time I stuffed them with quinoa, pistachios, garlic, and spinach.
For the mixture, I love adding baby spinach or arugula. There are other options for veggies though. You can always use cooked zucchini or chickpeas in with the quinoa. Considering adding some spice with a jalapeño or roasted red pepper.
Must-Have Kitchen Tools
An Instant Pot is similar to a pressure cooker as they seal in the moisture which turns to steam as the temperature is raised. After a few minutes the pressure will have built up enough to start cooking but because of the combination of heat and steam they will cook food up to 70% faster than a conventional oven.
Pressed garlic has a lighter, more delicate flavor than minced garlic because it excludes the bitter center stem. A good garlic press can break down cloves more evenly which means better distribution of garlic flavor throughout your dish.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted Tomato Stuffed Quinoa
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Sea Salt plus more for sprinkling
- 2 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Plus more for drizzling
- 1 cup Spinach
- ½ cup Salted & roasted pistachios Roughly chopped, sub other nut. Pine nuts would also be lovely here.
For The Tomato
- Preheat oven to 325 and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Gently hallow out the tomatoes and lay on baking sheet. Sprinkle with minced garlic, remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake tomato sliced for 50 minutes.
- White tomatoes are baking, add water, vegetable stock, 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and quinoa to a sauce pot. Heat to a boil, reduce to a low-simmer and cover.
- Simmer quinoa for 25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to sit covered another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Stuff each tomato with quinoa mixture, spinach, and pistachios.
- Drizzle with extra olive oil and sea salt to taste. Eat immediately or chill overnight. Keep refrigerated and enjoy!