Each bite of this Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping is soft and sweet thanks to robust ingredients like pumpkin puree, almond milk, and seasonal spices.
Piled high with a crumb topping and drizzled with a simple, sugar-alternative glaze, this fall breakfast is one for the books.
The sweet streusel topping and sugared glaze MAKE this recipe. I highly recommend not skipping this step. Here is what you’ll need…
Cinnamon and pecan spiced streusel topping may be one of my favorite things in the world. It’s easy to make too! With that said, I’m pretty picky when it comes to textures. I made this topping without pecans but found the dish too “soft”. So for the perfect amount of crunch and flavor – you’ll need almond flour, brown sugar, Truvia, cinnamon, chopped pecans & melted coconut oil.
While the cake is baking, you should be making the icing. For an extra dose of seasonal flavor, try using pumpkin spice coffee creamer instead of milk for the icing.
Mix the coffee creamer or milk with a little Swerve confectioners sugar and vanilla extract, then pour the glaze on top of the warm coffee cake. Instead of vanilla icing, try a drizzle of salted caramel or dollop of homemade whipped cream.
Believe it or not, coffee cake actually contains NO coffee. Coffee cake, a single layer cake, is infused with a sweet, cinnamon flavor and is typically topped with a streusel made from flour, butter, and sugar. Streusel can also be layered inside of the cake like a filling. Nut, chocolate, and fruit variations are popular too!
Add Seeds: like chia or flax to your streusel or cake batter for additional healthy fats and texture.
Bourbon Vanilla Glaze: Simply combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tsp bourbon, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp heavy cream (or milk), and 1/2 tsp salt, and set aside. Pour it over the cake before serving after it has had time to cool.
Brown Butter! Substituting brown butter for coconut oil will add a nutty-caramel flavor to your cake. To make brown butter, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until it starts to crackle and pop, 5-8 minutes. Brown butter can burn easily so keep an eye on it. Remove from heat when you see the color change to brown and when it smells nutty. Let it cool before using for the cake batter.
Yep! Sure can! Replace the eggs with applesauce for a autumn flare.
INGREDIENTS FOR MY PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE WITH PECAN STREUSEL
Egg – One egg contains 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats. Eggs also contain lots of trace minerals that are important for your body. I would consider an egg a super food.
- Almond flour – The vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in almond flour can provide important health benefits. For example, manganese helps the body properly clot blood, allowing it to heal after injuries. Manganese also helps the body break down carbohydrates and cholesterol. Almond flour is also rich in magnesium, which can help you better control your blood sugar levels.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is thought to have many medicinal and soothing properties, and is used frequently in Chinese herbal medicine. The distinctive smell and flavour of cinnamon comes from the essential oils contained in the bark, called cinnamaldehyde. Cinnamon also contains large amounts of polyphenol antioxidants which helps to calm inflammation.
- Truvia – You will see this a lot on my blog and in my recipes. I like it because it does not influence blood sugar. It is however not fully plant-based as advertised and is made of 3 different things: erythritol, a sugar alcohol, Rebaudioside A, (a sweet compound isolated from the stevia plant & listed as Rebiana on the label), and “natural flavoring” which the manufacturer does not specify. Kinda shady, but I’ll let it slide. You can substitute Swerve or Monk Fruit here if preferred.
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil is widely known as a “superfood”. The beautiful combination of fatty acids in coconut oil may have positive effects on your health, such as increasing fat loss, boosting brain function, and preventing heart disease.
- Pumpkin – Pumpkin has a wide range of positive health benefits, including being one of the best-known sources of beta carotene. Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant that gives orange vegetables and fruits their vibrant color and is then converted into vitamin A.
- Almond Milk – Almond milk is often enriched with vitamin D and consuming it may help prevent vitamin D deficiency.
- Vanilla Extract – Vanilla has fewer calories and carbohydrates than traditional sugar and is used to reduce sugar intake. Using vanilla as a sugar substitute also can reduce high blood glucose levels and help you lead a more heart-healthy lifestyle.
- Swerve Powdered Sugar – Swerve is zero-calorie, non-glycemic and measures cup-for-cup like sugar. It’s sweet, safe and natural. It also works great with cold recipes because it dissolves very well.
- Pecans – Raw pecans contain large quantities (for their size) of protein and contain healthy fats and fiber that can help keep you energized and full. Pecans are a good source of calcium, magnesium, and potassium, which help lower blood pressure. Most of the fat found in pecans is monounsaturated fat, aka the good fat.
Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare a 9-inch round pan with non-stick spray and parchment paper and then set it aside.
Stir together your streusel ingredients, starting with the dry and then adding the coconut oil and stirring until a crumble forms. Set aside until ready to use.
Stir together your filling ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
In large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, almond milk and vanilla until combined. Add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices and whisk until well combined. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan.
Sprinkle with the filling mixture and top with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the streusel over the coffee cake batter and then bake for 30-40 minutes and a toothpick comes out clean.
Stir together the glaze and drizzle over the streusel before serving. Voila!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.