These easy Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls are sugar free and come in just under 3 net grams of carbs with a savory cream cheese filling! They also do not contain any wheat flour, so they’re perfect for anyone with a gluten intolerance!
They make for a great keto breakfast option and you can enjoy them without all the bloat and fatigue!
Traditional cinnamon rolls take, on average, an hour to prep and bake. These however, are done in less than 30 minutes!
Another cool concept for this recipe is to substitute the almond flour for macadamia or flax meal. To use macadamia nuts, you just need to pulse them in a food processor until they reach a fine flour consistency.
The same amount by volume as the almond flour is needed – 1 cup finely grounded macadamia nuts. You can start with 2 cups of nuts and see if you need more after grinding.
Macadamia and flax do increase the fat and omega-3 content while reducing the carbs (Compared to using almond or coconut flour.) It’s a no-brainer for those doing Keto or looking to balance their blood sugar.
INGREDIENTS & HEALTH BENEFITS FOR MY CINNAMON ROLLS
- Mozzarella cheese – mozzarella cheese is definitely an alpha cheese in the cheese world. It is rich in calcium (needed for bone health), containing ~18% of your daily calcium needs. It also contains phosphorus, a mineral that allows the body to use calcium and plenty of protein needed to restore muscle and tissue depletion.
- Cream cheese – Cream cheese is high in fat and contains a small amount of carbs and protein. It’s a good source of vitamin A and contributes some riboflavin (vitamin B2).
- Egg – One egg contains 77 calories, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of healthy fats. Eggs also contain lots of trace minerals that are important for your body. I would consider an egg a super food.
- Almond flour – The vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in almond flour can provide important health benefits. For example, manganese helps the body properly clot blood, allowing it to heal after injuries. Manganese also helps the body break down carbohydrates and cholesterol. Almond flour is also rich in magnesium, which can help you better control your blood sugar levels.
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is thought to have many medicinal and soothing properties, and is used frequently in Chinese herbal medicine. The distinctive smell and flavour of cinnamon comes from the essential oils contained in the bark, called cinnamaldehyde. Cinnamon also contains large amounts of polyphenol antioxidants which helps to calm inflammation.
- Butter – Dairy fat contains approximately 400 different fatty acids, which makes it one of the most complex natural fats. (1) butter may contain vitamins A, B12, D, E, and K as well as small amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. It can also contain beta carotene.
Here are a few tips to help you create the perfect low carb cinnamon roll:⠀
Chill: If your dough is too sticky, stick it in the fridge for 30-60 minutes before starting to knead. Keep in mind, some stickiness is normal.
Before Rolling: to help prevent sticking, use melted butter or oil to coat the ball of dough before rolling.
During Rolling: This can be a little tricky, so cover your fingers with a little melted butter as you roll, carefully peeling the dough away from the parchment as you go.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB CINNAMON ROLLS FROM SCRATCH
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Don’t cheap out on parchment paper. It will double the amount of work you have to do. I like Katbite Heavy Duty Parchment Paper.
Heat the mozzarella and cream cheese until you can stir them together. Either the microwave or a double boiler on the stove works fine.
Stir in the beaten eggs and almond flour. Knead with your hands until a dough forms.
Kneading is super easy and can be a great project for the kids to do. Here is a quick video on how to knead dough.
Spread the dough into a rectangle between two greased or oiled pieces of parchment paper. Use melted butter or oil to coat the ball of dough before rolling, to help prevent sticking.
Melt together butter and cream cheese in the microwave and mix in the Stevia and cinnamon. Spread across the flattened dough. Roll the dough into a log and slice 1″ rolls.
Place the rolls onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2″ apart and bake for 12 minutes.
Let cool and top with icing!
Low Carb Cinnamon Rolls
- 1½ cups Mozzarella cheese Shredded
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese Cut Into Cubes
- 2 large Eggs Beaten
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ¼ cup Stevia
- ¼ cup Sugar Free Confectioners Sweetener Like Swerve
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and almond flour. Knead with your hands until a dough forms. Kneading is super easy and a great project for the kids to do. Here is a quick video on how to knead dough. HOW TO KNEAD DOUGH
- Spread the dough flat into a rectangle shape on parchment using your hands or a rolling pin. If you use a roll pin, place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper.
- Melt together butter and cream cheese in microwave and mix in the Stevia and cinnamon. Spread across the flattened dough. Roll the dough into a log and slice 1″ rolls.
- Place the rolls onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2″ apart and bake for 12 minutes.
- Let cool and top with icing!
For The Icing
- Mix ¼ cup sugar free confectioners sweetener with heavy cream until desired texture has been reached.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1. Helena Lindmark Månsson. Fatty acids in bovine milk fat. Food Nutr Res. 2008; 52: 10.3402/fnr.v52i0.1821.
Welcome to LG Nutrition - a place to optimize your health and relieve stress with some homemade sweet treats