Castor Oil Packs for Fertility Support and Painful Periods
I tell my clients all the time…castor oil MOVES things! Applied externally, castor oil helps move lymph and blood; it reduces inflammation and congestion. This movement can aid in adhesions breakdown and tissue detoxification. Ingested, it helps move bowels and pushes women into labor.
Castor oil therapy, used for centuries to promote healing the reproductive system, is obtained by pressing the seeds of the castor oil plant. Castor oil has been part of Ayurvedic medicine in India for nearly as long and has been used therapeutically for centuries in other parts of the world. The earliest medicinal use dates back to 1500 BC in Egypt.
Applying a warm a castor oil pack is simple, inexpensive, and benefits three metabolic systems:
The Lymphatic system: responsible for removing waste from cells in our body, the lymphatic system relies on external movement and manipulation, as well as regular movement of the entire body to function. Our lymph system can easily become congested because unlike our circulatory system, the lymph system does not have a “pump”. Castor oil packs, along with purposeful movement, are two easy ways to stimulate movement of lymph.
We have tons of lymph nodes in our groins, neck and armpits, and abdomen. With a sedentary lifestyle, these can get clogged and backed up – and our immune system becomes compromised.
The Circulatory System: The promotion of circulation by a castor oil pack can bring in fresh oxygenated, nutrient-rich blood to the reproductive organs. When you bring oxygen-rich and nutrient-dense blood to the uterus, it helps create an supple, supportive uterine lining. A healthy lining sheds more easily… likely with less menstrual cramping. Healthy circulation promotes healing, scar tissue repair and breakdown of old adhesions.
The Liver: The work-horse of the body. The liver is the body’s natural filtration system.It continually balance blood sugar, metabolize and synthesize fats, store vitamins and minerals, and filters toxins, hormones, and drugs from the blood. If excess toxins are lingering within your body, there is a potential for unnecessary storage.
A healthy liver is necessary to fight endometriosis and painful periods. It is also vitally important for a properly functioning lymphatic system because it makes roughly half of your lymph. A overwhelmed liver due to poor diet and lifestyle choices or a sedentary lifestyle cannot adequately balance hormones or optimize fertility.
organic cold pressed castor oil
So, what exactly are castor oil packs?
A castor oil pack is a cloth soaked in castor oil and placed on the skin to enhance circulation and promote healing. Basically, it’s the combination of the castor oil and heat which makes this treatment so awesome. The heat increases circulation and the absorption rate of the oil.
When it comes to reproductive health, castor oil packs can be a great, supportive, and relaxing therapy for:
- Supporting ovarian health
- Supporting fallopian tube health
- Supporting egg health
- Detoxifying your liver before conception
- Supporting uterine health
Here is what you’ll need:
- One flannel cloth or old wash cloth (plain in color)
- One bottle of organic, cold-pressed castor oil for topical use
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- Container with lid or large zip lock bag
- Old clothes and sheets as castor oil stains clothing and bedding
You can buy all the items separately or there are kits available online, like this one, making it easy to get started quickly.
The best place to apply your pack is over the lower abdomen. Though it’s a bit messy, this practice is absolutely worth the inconvenience!
How to use your castor oil pack
- Make yourself a comfy spot – on your bed, your couch or on the floor. You will be here for at least an hour, so make it good – maybe with a pillow for under your knees and another for under your head. Then…
- Soak your cloth in castor oil. Saturated, but not dripping. Place the pack on your lower abdomen.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a old thin cloth. I use a dark dish towel.
- Place your heating pad over the pack. Kick your feet up and relax for 45-60 minutes.
- After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a dilute solution of water and baking soda.
- Store the pack in a covered container in the refrigerator. Each pack can be reused ~30 times.
The effects of castor oil are cumulative, so it’s best to do a few days in a row. I like the rhythm of four days on and three days off. Do this for a month or more, except as indicated in the cautions below.
* Use your castor oil pack only during the follicular stage (from the end of your period until ovulation). It isn’t safe to use if you’re pregnant or menstruating*