Welcome to pretty much the easiest recipe of all time. You basically throw main ingredients into a skillet and cook. Well, its not THAT easy but you get the idea. This Turkey and Sweet Potato Casserole is rich in potassium, Vitamin A, and fiber…making it great for your health and happiness.
While this meal could certainly have other veggies added in, the whole point of this dish is a quick prep time. The goal is to have this meal on the table in 30 minutes or less, so to accomplish that, the only chopping required is for the sweet potatoes, pepper, onion and garlic.
This meal is relatively low carb, very high in protein, rich in vitamins and minerals, and has so much flavor (even with the fairly short ingredient list)!
must-have kitchen tools
Can I use a different meat for this dish?
Of course! You can use ground chicken, extra lean ground beef, fresh turkey, or sausage.
Any other cool variations I can add?
Yep! Swap out the sweet potatoes for yukon gold or red potatoes.
Try adding veggies; green beans, halved grape tomatoes, spinach, baby portabella mushrooms, brussel sprouts, or corn would make great additions to the base recipe.
Use different types of cheese; cheddar, gouda, Monterey Jack, and swiss would all taste fabulous.
Add more spices; Try curry, thyme, rosemary, paprika, or sage.
Can I microwave my potatoes first to reduce prep time?
Yes – the texture will remain excellent; microwaved sweet potatoes have tender flesh and soft skins that peel off in a cinch.
The only prep you need to do is poke a few small holes in the potato to provide a place for the steam to escape.
Cook an 8-ounce sweet potato for ~5 minutes on high power. You’ll know the potatoes are ready when they are easily pierced in the center with a fork.
Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 3 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup onion diced
- ½ cup low fat mozzarella
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey and continue cooking approximately 8 minutes until browned.
- Add cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir well to incorporate.
- Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add diced sweet potato and water.
- Stir and cover with a lid for approximately 6-8 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and allow it to melt.
- Remove skillet from heat and garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.